This was good fun with a dynamic crew of nice folk! A private dinner through “Off the Grid” (http://www.off-the-grid.ws/) – a small group of food and wine lovers who, every month or so, get together with a broad-minded chef who is willing to close a restaurant to the public and create a fun evening with like-minded foodies.
South America – especially Argentina and Chile have a long history of wine making and fine cuisine (although I’ve recently had a nice Southern Rhone style blend from Brazil that was surprisingly good and quite drinkable). Chef Toni Pais and his staff used his casual bistro Café Zinho to produce a wonderful five course meal matched to five wines that represented the Chilean and Argentine food culture – as a special note I have to say that the second course, a ceviche of Diver Scallops and Shrimp, lime cured for 30 hours, was the best ceviche I have ever had!!!
Below is a summary of the foods and wines
- Tapas – Empanadas Two Ways – Onion Tomato Chicken & Onion Tomato Cheese. Wine: Trapiche Extra Brut NV – Argentina
- Marisco: Diver Scallop and Shrimp Ceviche. Wine: Natura Organic Chardonnay 2010 – Chile
- Ensalada: Mixed Green Salad
- Plato: Seared Delmonico Steak with Chimichurri with Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables. Wines: Cono Sur Organic Cabernet / Carmenere Blend 2008 – Chile AND Bodega Paris Goulart Malbec 2007 – Argentina
- Postre: Almond Cookies with Dolce de Leche served on Dolce de Leche Crème Anglaise. Wine: Reginato Blanc de Blancs 2006 – Argentina
(Please make a comment if you are interested in full notes on the wines and I will post them)